Who’s #1? That accolade went to Gulf Island National Seashore in Pensacola, Florida.
It was a tough competition starting in February with Hunting Island being up against a strong group of sweet spots, and for the last two weeks of voting the lead changed hands no less than 5 times between Hunting Island and the National Seashore.
The Lowcountry fared very well in the poll with Folly Beach in Charleston coming in at #4 and Coligny Beach in Hilton Head taking the #9 spot. Myrtle Bach also made the Top 10.
The top 10 winners in the category Best East Coast Beach are as follows:
- Gulf Islands National Seashore – Pensacola, Fla.
- Hunting Island State Park – Beaufort, S.C.
- Ocracoke Island Beach – Outer Banks, N.C.
- Folly Beach – Charleston, S.C.
- Myrtle Beach – Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Cape Hatteras – Outer Banks, N.C.
- Virginia Beach – Virginia Beach, Va.
- The Cove – Cape May, N.J.
- Coligny Beach Park – Hilton Head, S.C.
- Bowman’s Beach – Sanibel, Fla.
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Additional nominees for Best East Coast Beach that didn’t make the Top 10 included Clearwater Beach, Coopers Beach, Cumberland Island National Seashore, Kiawah Beachwalker Park, Martha’s Vineyard Beaches, Siesta Key Beach and South Beach in Florida.
While #2 isn’t too bad….Hunting Island is always #1 in our hearts.